Thursday, May 9, 2013

Wide Solomon Bar belt

Another one for the sale. This one is a wide solomon bar, again from fusion knots. I don't really like how this one turned out; there's a few inconsistencies in the weave which are surprisingly obvious, the pattern "slipped" so that the two sides are slightly offset, and the end turned out quite messy. I'm also not sure about the colours. I was in a hurry when I made it, if I'd thought it throught better to begin with I would have used a single black strand rather than two (meaning two less end to deal with), and if I had spent longer on it I might have found a nicer way to tie it off.

I was saving this buckle for a belt that used black paracord.
You can see here how it narrows and "slips".
The end was very messy.
The inside actually looks nicer than the outside.
When I was planning this belt I discovered some of the modified versions I could do. I just wish I could stop the weave from slipping on one side, I think there might be a way to do it based on the steps in the weave and the tension on the cord, but I can't really be bothered to look into it right now.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Double T-Virus Belt

I mentioned in my post about the T-Virus belt that I thought it would be possible to weave a second row of knots along the outside. Well, that's exactly what I did:
I added an extra prong to the buckle.
The triange tie-off came out quite well.
The inside has a more "ordered" look.

Basically I wove the regular T-Virus sinnet from fusion knots, and then ran a second row of knots along each side. Rather than pull the entire cord through each of the outer knots, I tried to save time by pulling out the white cord out from the center, leaving me with two knotted "arms" of the light blue cord. This allowed me to pull the "arms" through the loops in the knots in the dark blue cord (OK, if you have no idea what I'm talking about then it might help to watch the instructional video so you understand how the knots are made). I then pushed the white cord back through the knots in the light blue cord using Perma Lok lacing needle.

This may have saved time, but it was fiddly and I had to be careful not to let the knots in the light blue cord unravel while I was working. I think just doing it the long way might be easier in the future.

I was able to modify the "triangle tie-off" to work with six strands, and the luckily the end turned out quite neat. I took the prong from one belt buckle and added it to another to create a mid-sized two-pronged buckle, which seemed more suitable to me, though in truth a regular buckle should work just find as the central strands take most of the strain anyway.

I really like how it came out; the colours work well (I used a brighter blue than the last time) and it's a great pattern, I just wish I'd had a nicer buckle to use. It does take significantly more than twice as long to make as the regular T-Virus though, so I don't know if I'll be making any more any time soon.

Monday, May 6, 2013

KBK Bar Belt

I've been weaving some belts for a handicrafts sale that's coming up - I'm really just using it as an excuse to try some patterns on Fusion Knots that I've had my eye on. This one is the KBK Bar.

I had a little trouble finishing it neatly; I think this type of paracord doesn't melt as nicely either, which didn't help:

I always keep weaves tight, as it's the easiest way I've found to keep them consistant - and for a belt it keeps the belt from being too stretchy. I think that in this case it doesn't look as good though, and to be honest I'm not really happy with the colours either. However, this is the thinnest paracord belt I've woven yet, it's quicker to make than the Derweesh pattern and in solid black I think it would made a decent belt for a man, if perhaps a little narrow.

Friday, May 3, 2013

Slatt's belt

I finally finished my Slatt's belt (thanks again to JD of Fusion Knots for the easy to follow instructions). There's about 120 feet of paracord in here. I used a trick I've been working on to line up the belt with the buckle properly, I've since improved the method and will post the details later. I also replaced the metal tube of the buckle with a firestarter that I cut to size.

It might not be obvious, but I couldn't quite close the metal buckle over the firestarter properly, and now the whole buckle is slightly trapezoidal rather than square. The belt is quite thick and heavy, and pushing the belt prong through the weave is a little awkward.

But other than all that it's pretty decent. Still, I plan to replace it with a Derweesh pattern belt, which should be thinner and easier to use, but I'm having trouble adapting the MarkII pattern to work with 6 spine strands, and just can't seem to find the time to work on it properly.